Classics For All
Kendrick School is delighted to announce it will be working as a partner school with Classics for All, the Classics charity that works to bring Classics to all students regardless of educational setting or background.
In the coming years, the Classics Department at Kendrick School will be helping to train teachers in secondaries and primaries across Berkshire to provide Latin, Greek and Classics content in schools.
Some of the work of Classics for All is detailed below:
Classics for All supports state schools across the UK, many in areas of socio-economic disadvantage, to introduce or develop the teaching of classical subjects sustainably on the curriculum or as an after school activity.
While some schools come to us directly for support, we also work through our 16 regional classics networks to target schools in areas of low social mobility. This ensures that pupils in schools with no tradition of classics benefit from the programme.
OUR KEY ACTIVITIES:
- Advice: We advise schools on the teaching of Latin, Greek, ancient history and classical civilisation on or off the school timetable.
- Continuing Professional Development: We offer free training Continuing Professional Development for teachers in schools wishing to introduce classics or to extend existing classics provision.
- Mentoring: After initial training, our regional classics networks offer teachers continued mentoring to ensure that classics teaching is sustained.
- Resources: We develop stimulating and engaging resources to support the teaching of classics.
- Advocacy: We make the case for classics with state schools, policymakers and donors.
- Research and evaluation: We review data from schools to improve our services and commission research into the impact of classics on pupils’ aspiration and attainment.
The work that Classics for All does for the subject area of classics is vital and provides opportunity for thousands of children across the UK. I am extremely excited to see how Kendrick can help to contribute.
If you would like to find out more about the work of Classics for All please visit: https://classicsforall.org.uk/ and if you would be interested in contributing to their work please visit: https://classicsforall.org.uk/get-involved/donate
Mr Jacob Duncan
Subject Leader of Classics