Sixth Form Admission
ENTRY INTO YEAR 12 IN SEPTEMBER 2022
For entry into Kendrick School Sixth Form, applicants will normally have to satisfy the following minimum conditions:
- 8 GCSEs (or DfE recognised equivalent) grades 9-5 or A* - B, two of which must be English Language and Mathematics.
- BTEC Level 2 at Distinction*, Distinction or Merit will be accepted
- GCSE short courses cannot be accepted.
- At least a 6 or grade B at GCSE in the subjects to be studied at AS/A-level.
- Grade B or 6 or above in the Higher Tier is an entry requirement for Mathematics and/or Science AS/A level courses. Students who have taken Foundation Tier GCSE courses in Mathematics and Sciences (rather than Higher Tier) are unlikely to have covered all the appropriate topics from which they can move on to A-level in the context of this school.
- To study a Science subject it would be necessary for an applicant to have achieved at least a Grade B or 6 in Combined Science or Separate Science GCSEs.
- Students who wish to study Further Mathematics must achieve at Grade A*-A or 9-7 in GCSE Mathematics.
- Students would normally be expected to have studied GCSE in subjects they wish to study at A-level. In the case of Classical Civilisation, Economics, Philosophy and Sociology where the subjects may not have been studied at GCSE level, Grade B or 6 in English Literature and a Humanity would be required as a minimum condition of entry to the course.
- Students living overseas at the time of application and not taking GCSE courses must provide evidence of the equivalence of their externally taken qualifications to GCSE by an official organisation (for example NARIC).
- Students who are Home Schooled will be asked to provide a reference and predicted GCSE grades from a professional body. In the absence of a reference they may be asked to sit mock GCSE examinations at Kendrick School.
|Open Evening||Thursday 11th November, 5pm to 7.30pm|
|Online application opens||Friday 12th November 2021|
|Deadline for receipt of applications||Friday 21st January 2022|
|Deadline for receiving school references
(requested by Kendrick School)
|Friday 4th February 2022|
|Consultation meetings||w/c Monday 28th February 2022|
|Provisional offers made||by Friday 11th March 2022|
|Deadline for accepting offer||Friday 25th March 2022|
|Sixth Form Induction Day (compulsory)||Tuesday 28th June 2022|
|GCSE Results Day||Thursday 25th August 2022|
|Sixth Form Registration day (compulsory)||Friday 26th August 2022 (remote)|
|Start of Term 1, 2022/2023||Monday 5th September 2022, 8.25am|
How to Apply (External Applicants Only)
The application form is online and will be available below. The deadline for completing the form is Friday 21st January 2022.
Before completing the application form please ensure you read the document below.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Below are some questions that have been raised by previous applicants.
What grades do you need in your GCSEs/BTECs to be offered a place in Kendrick Sixth Form?
The final offer will be subject to you achieving at least B or 5 in 8 GCSE’s (or a BTEC Level 2 Distinction*, Distinction, or Merit), two of which must be GCSE Mathematics and English, and a B or 6 in the subjects you wish to study at A Level. If you wish to study Further Mathematics you must achieve at least an A or 7 in GCSE Mathematics.
The points are calculated as follows: A* = 8; A = 7; B= 6; C = 5; D = 4; E = 3; 9 = 9; 8=8, etc. BTEC Level 2 Distinction* = 8.5; BTEC Level 2 Distinction = 7; BTEC Level 2 Merit = 5.5. Invite to a consultation is purely based on GCSE/BTEC predicted results.
How does being a pupil premium/service premium or a child in care affect my application?
If you are a pupil premium/service premium or a child in care (or previously in care) you will be eligible to be considered under category 3 of our over-subscription criteria. This means, if you score 54 or above, you are more likely to be invited to a consultation meeting and provisionally offered a place at Kendrick School. The final offer will be subject to you achieving the grades specified above.
Do you accept BTEC's?
We accept BTEC Level 2s Distinction *, Distinction and Merit and you can see their point score equivalent above.
Do mock exams have an impact on your application?
Mock exams may affect the predicted grades on your reference, which then may impact your application. You should always aim to do your best with all tests and examinations, whether or not they will an effect on your application.
What is a good combination of courses?
This is completely dependent on your future plans. Speak to your teachers your current school for advice or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How does the application and acceptance process work?
You will need to complete an online application form by Friday 21st January 2022. Please don’t leave completing your application until the last minute as we cannot accept late applications. If you do not have access to a computer please contact the Admissions Team at Kendrick School and they will be able to assist you. On receipt of your application, we will request provisional subject grades from your current school and, depending on your point score, we will invite you in for a consultation week commencing 28th February 2022. The consultation will last about 2 hours and will consist of a discussion with a senior member of staff and an opportunity for you to ask us any questions about the Sixth Form at Kendrick School. The discussion will last approximately 20 minutes and the purpose is to discuss your plans for post-16 education and to ensure that Kendrick is the right place for you. Don’t feel nervous about this, we simply wish to ensure that you will be happy here at Kendrick School and that we are able to offer you the subjects you wish to study.
Following the consultation we will let you know as soon as possible if we can offer you a place in the Sixth Form and the deadline for you accepting an offer of a place is Friday 18th March 2022.
Are the teachers helpful to students?
Of course! They are experts in their subject but they are also very aware that success doesn’t come easily. Lots of drop-in sessions and booster sessions are available and staff are often found at breaktimes, helping students with their work.
ENTRY INTO YEAR 12 IN SEPTEMBER 2023
The Sixth Form Open Event for entry into Year 12 in September 2023 will take place in November 2022 (date to be confirmed). If you would like to be kept informed once the date is arranged please complete the form below: